Personalize your online experienceSign Into My Dashboard

Go To Search
Click to Home
Your GovernmentOur ResidentsFor VisitorsDoing BusinessHow Do I
Decks & Fences
Permit Required
Before making any repairs, additions or modifications to a deck that is more than 30 inches above grade (measured to the lowest point within 6 feet of the deck), you need a permit. Note: Removing, altering or repairing railings or guards is considered a modification.

If you are only replacing / repairing non-structural decking boards, you are exempt.

Important Note
Be aware that even if no permit is required, any modified decks or patios must still meet current land-use regulations. These include, but are not limited to, the maximum impervious surfaces allowed on your lot. Please contact the Permit Center if you are unsure.

Single-Family Deck Permit Submittal Requirements

Site Plans
If the size of the deck is changing, the following is required:
  • Front, rear and side yard setbacks
  • Property area
  • All structure dimensions / sizes (for impervious surface calculations)
  • Impervious surface calculations
  • Title block - include property owner information, site address and page number

Deck Plans
Deck plans must include the following:
  • Fully dimensioned floor plan, 1/4-inch/foot scale
  • Framing plan and details (fully-dimensioned framing plan showing spacing and span of posts, handrails and size of pier footings)
  • Stair details
  • Handrail details
  • Guardrail details
  • Foundation details

You may include the tipsheets instead of creating your own:

Fences (Residential)
Maximum Height
  • The maximum height in the front setback is 4 feet.
  • The maximum height in the side and rear setbacks is 6 feet.
  • Additional HOA restrictions or approvals may be required.
  • For more information See Municipal Code Section 18.07.120.

Residential fences do not require a building permit unless the fence is:
  • In a critical area
  • More than 6 feet in height
  • Other land-use restrictions exist

Determining Your Property Line
In newer-platted areas you may find buried corner markers — look for a piece of rebar in the ground. The Permit Center or King County may have plat maps to assist you in finding your property lines and/or dimensions. Please be aware that ultimately it is up to the property owner to verify property line locations, which may require a professional survey.