Personalize your online experienceSign Into My Dashboard

Go To Search
Click to Home
Your GovernmentOur ResidentsFor VisitorsDoing BusinessHow Do I
Mother-In-Laws / ADUs
Accessory Dwelling Unit
An accessory dwelling unit (ADU) is an extra living unit on your property, complete with kitchen, bathroom and sleeping facilities.

ADUs may be located either inside, attached to or detached from the primary home on your property. Another common term for ADU is "mother-in-law" apartment.

  • Extra housing - meet a family need or have a tenant living nearby.
  • Companionship, security and home help - others to keep you company, look after your well-being or help out around the house.
  • First-time homebuyers - possibly qualify for a larger home loan, have extra income or more choice in using your home.
  • Income - extra cash in your pocket for mortgage payments, home repairs or anything else you need.

More information on ADUs is included in this Seattle Times article.

More Information
For more information on creating an ADU in Issaquah, call the Development Services Department at 425-837-3080 or email us. You can also visit our Land Use Code.