Flood Insurance

Issaquah participates in the National Flood Insurance Program. If a building with a federally-backed mortgage is located in a Special Flood Hazard Area, flood insurance is required.

The City recommends flood insurance as a means for protecting homes and valuables from the risk of flooding, even if you are not required to carry flood insurance because, for example, you don't have a mortgage.


Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs) are used to determine whether you are in the floodplain. FEMA use different SFHA zones, along with other information, to set insurance rates.

The National Flood Insurance Program

Created by Congress in 1968, the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) provides insurance to help reduce the socio-economic impact of floods. Flood insurance is a separate policy that can cover buildings, the contents in a building, or both. The NFIP provides flood insurance to property owners, renters, and businesses, and having this coverage helps them recover faster when floodwaters recede.

The NFIP is a public-private partnership between the federal government, the property and casualty insurance industry, states, local officials, lending institutions, and property owners.

The NFIP is administered by FEMA, while insurance policies are sold and serviced by a network of more than 50 insurance companies and the NFIP Direct.

Elevation Certificates

The City's Development Services Department has FEMA elevation certificates for many - but not all - buildings constructed in the floodplain since 1980. Call 425-837-3100.

If you need a new elevation certificate, you must hire a professional surveyor to prepare it; the City does not provide this service. There are several surveying companies in Issaquah that can do this for you.

If you are located in unincorporated King County, call 206-296-6606. You will be asked to leave a message with the property information.