This project will include the construction of a new pedestrian bridge across Anti-Aircraft Creek and a raised intersection and pedestrian crossing where the Cougar Precipice Trailhead meets Newport Way. The pedestrian crossing will include rectangular rapid flashing beacons (RRFB).
King County will be constructing a new parking lot and trailhead amenities at Cougar Precipice Trailhead. Pedestrian access across Anti-Aircraft Creek is currently limited to the northwest of the trailhead and intersection improvements are required to complete the connection from trailhead improvements to Newport Way. These improvements are part of the larger Newport Way Corridor Concept.
To advance the trailhead project, the Newport Pedestrian Bridge and Raised Intersection project is being completed. The project is being designed to match the future corridor improvements associated with the Newport Way - SR900 to SE 54th Street project.
While the vast majority of the improvements have been completed, the delivery of the RRFBs has been delayed due to supply chain issues until Summer 2023.
- March 2021: Design work begins
- Summer 2021: 90% design
- Spring 2022: Right of Way dedication and permitting
- Summer 2022: Project Advertisement and award
- Sept. 2022: Begin construction
- Summer 2023: Install crosswalk markings and RRFBs.
- To stay connected, subscribe to the Neighborhoods: Newport category in the City’s Notify Me tool.