Summer is finally here and the weather is getting hotter and
Here are a few simple tips to help you lower your bill and use water
more efficiently outside:
- Water plants in the early morning
- Watering is more efficient in the morning when the sun is low, winds are calm and temperatures are cool. Watering in the evening can invite fungus to grow as leaves can remain wet overnight.
- Water wisely
- Don’t water when it is raining and make sure sprinkler heads are adjusted properly to avoid watering sidewalks and driveways. They don’t need it.
- Consider allowing your lawn to go dormant
- In the Pacific Northwest, lawns can go dormant and turn golden brown, but will come back in the fall.
- Wash your car at a commercial car wash
- You'll save water and keep pollutants out of local lakes and streams.
- Use a broom
- Use a broom to sweep sidewalks and driveways rather than a hose.
- Upgrade your irrigation system
- Install Water Smart controllers and rain sensors.
You can learn more on the City’s website