The City of Issaquah invites professional artists/artist teams to submit their qualifications for consideration to create mural artwork for the City’s asphalt mural project on Alder Street in downtown Issaquah. The public art project budget is $15,000, inclusive of all artist fees, travel, design, insurance, permits, labor and installation. The selected artist/artist team will work with the City of Issaquah to create an asphalt mural that complements and enhances the project.
Project Description: The asphalt mural is a component of the Alder Festival Street project which is part of Issaquah's Downtown Streetscape Concept Plan, adopted by City Council in 2017. The full concept will install catenary lighting, concrete paving with distinct pattern, street wall, benches, trees, planters and walkway connecting to Depot and Veterans Parks to the east. This current phase of the project will install catenary lighting and an asphalt mural to delineate the walkway to Depot and Veterans Parks.
These improvements will provide outdoor space to encourage pedestrian activities and community spaces for people to enjoy in Issaquah’s historic cultural and business district. The Alder Festival Street is also within Issaquah’s Creative District and will allow additional opportunities for artists, musicians and other users to connect with the community.
Artwork Requirements: The selected artist or artist team will work with City of Issaquah staff and community stakeholders to ensure an asphalt mural design that is cohesive with the overall festival street project. The artwork will be approximately 800 square feet. The mural will be on pavement and should be designed and treated to withstand pedestrian traffic.
Artwork Location: Alder Street, between Front Street and 1st Avenue, Issaquah WA
Budget: The total budget for the project is $15,000. Budget is inclusive of all artist’s fees, travel, design, insurance, permits, labor and installation.
Application Deadline: Friday, June 4, 2021
- Deadline for submissions: June 4, 2021
- Proposed selection notification: June 15, 2021
- Artwork Design: June/July 2021
- Mural Installation: August/September 2021
- Applicants should have experience implementing large scale murals.
- Applicants should have experience working with community stakeholders in the creation of public art.
- Applicants must live in Washington State.
The artist will be selected on the basis of the following criteria:
- Proven ability to coordinate and collaborate with project managers, design teams and community stakeholders;
- Demonstrated success delivering public art on time and within budget;
- Quality and strength of past artwork as demonstrated in application materials.
To Apply: The following materials should be submitted to Arts Program Administrator Amy Dukes via email. All submissions must be received no later than 5 p.m. on Friday, June 4, 2021.
Contact Amy Dukes by email or at 425-837-3024.