Looking for ways to take part in Juneteenth related events?
- The Issaquah Highlands are launching their new Global Grub and Groove series with a celebration of African American culture on June 18. Learn more.
- Washington State Parks have designated Juneteenth will now be a Discover Pass free day. Learn more.
- The King County Library have numerous events planned:
- The King County Library also has a curated reading list commemorating Juneteenth. Read stories that honor the richness of Black American culture, heritage, legacy and freedom.
There are also a number of movies and documentaries related to the holiday. See below:
- 13th - Thought-provoking documentary. Scholars, activist and politicians analyze the criminalization of African Americans and the U.S. prison boom.
- Just Mercy- Film based on the life work of civil rights attorney Bryan Stevenson and goes in-depth on the systematic racism in our society.
- When They See Us- Based on the true story about the Central Park five teens who were falsely accused of a brutal attack that made nationwide headlines.
- Selma- Based on the true story of Marin Luther King and the turmoil in Selma.
- PBS Series - Juneteenth Jamboree which "illuminates the significance of the Juneteenth holiday and shares stories about black culture and history."
- Juneteenth: A Celebration of Overcoming