Following a nationwide recruitment and competitive interview process, Mayor Pauly selected Paula Schwan, formerly the Interim Chief, as the next Issaquah Police Chief. Chief Schwan was confirmed by City Council on June 21, 2022.
Based on community feedback during the recruitment process, it became very apparent that she has the skills, local understanding and support to succeed in the role. Welcome Chief Schwan!
The community’s priorities for the next chief, which Chief Schwan embodied, include someone whom:
- Has experience implementing 21st century policing principles (community-oriented policing, crisis intervention and de-escalation, tech savvy);
- Is trustworthy, honest and forthright;
- Holds officers accountable to policies and high professional standards;
- Listens and incorporates community concerns into police operations and
- Seeks solutions to the underlying causes of criminal activity (such as poverty, mental health, etc.).
View the full community survey results, which helped inform the City’s recruitment. Thank you to the more than 250 community members who provided thoughtful feedback.