The City Council Mobility & Infrastructure Committee will review the latest design for a project along Newport Way Northwest – from Northwest Maple Street to West Sunset Way – during its Aug. 9, 2022 meeting.
This project would deliver improvements for transit, cars, pedestrians and residents, including:
- Continuous sidewalks on both sides of the street
- Continuous separated bike lanes on both sides of the street
- A second southbound vehicle travel lane from Northwest Maple Street to south of Northwest Holly Street
- Three roundabouts at Northwest Juniper Street, Northwest Holly Street and Northwest Dogwood Street
- Illumination upgrades, bringing the corridor to lighting standards
- Landscaping elements to enhance the corridor
This project is identified in the City’s Mobility Master Plan (MMP) as a Top 10 priority project, and in its Comprehensive Plan.
Since 2019, the City refined the concept design for this project by incorporating public feedback while also balancing factors such as controlling project cost and minimizing property impacts.
The latest design follows engagement with the community, including an online survey and virtual open house.
Following its review of the latest design, the Mobility and Infrastructure Committee may refer it to the City Council for adoption as is, recommend further changes or opt to delay.
Learn more in the full staff report.