Eastside Fire & Rescue (EFR) gave an informational update at the Oct. 3 City Council meeting, briefing Council members and the public on their budget and strategic plan.
The Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W) came in at 9.5%, rather than the initially projected 8%. The EFR budget adjusted to account for this increase.
Key points in the budget discussion included:
- The introduction of a wildfire mitigation program
- New revenue from contracted for services with Woodinville
- Updates in funding formula distributions
- The distribution in the funding formula varied by less than 1% year to year for Issaquah from the years 2014-2018, 2019-2022, and 2023-2024.
- These numbers will be adjusted in alignment with the two year budget cycle moving forward.
- EFR plans to reinstate the Partner Equipment Replacement Fund in the 2023-2024 budget
- The Capital Facilities & Maintenance Fund may be covered by the End Fund Balance
To offset inflationary pressures and an increase in fuel prices, EFR is proposing an increase in ambulance rates. Transport would increase from $1,050 to $1,100 and mileage would increase from $19.41/mile to $22.59/mile. This would lead to a projected collection increase of $52,000.
End Fund Balance Projection
- The Liability Fund and 10% Operating Reserve are fully funded
- $1.1 million End Fund Balance projection
Recommendations on Use of End Fund Balance:
- $750,000: Washington State Matching PFAS grant (2023-2024)
- $150,000: Reduce 2023 & 2024 Capital Facilities & Maintenance Fund
2023-2027 Strategic Plan
EFR shared their process and key points in their new strategic plan. This plan reviewed and updated their strategic priorities, following an initial strategic planning process in 2016. Their strategic planning process aligns with their budgeting process.
View the 2023-2027 Eastside Fire & Rescue Strategic Plan
- Plan sought community input through an online survey.
- The new plan includes a DEI objective, with a paired training objective. The former strategic plan also included DEI elements as well.
- Fiscal and fiduciary responsibility is weaved into the strategic plan
- Will be producing a quarterly report on progress, updates