Personalize your online experienceSign Into My Dashboard

Go To Search
Click to Home
Your GovernmentOur ResidentsFor VisitorsDoing BusinessHow Do I
Groundwater Protection / CARA

A Groundwater Protection Area is an area that contributes water to municipal water supply wells through infiltration of rainwater. Legally, it is termed a Critical Aquifer Recharge Area (CARA). 

Our drinking water comes from this protection area. It is important that these areas are protected from fertilizers, chemical spills and leaking oil or gas so that the water we drink is not contaminated.

I saw the sign…
Groundwater protection area signs are just one of many tools the City uses to help the community recognize and understand the importance of the groundwater beneath them. The water we drink can truly be affected by our day-to-day activities.

How can I help?

  • Limit the applications of fertilizers and pesticides. Be sure to follow label directions if they must be used.
  • Properly maintain your vehicles to prevent oil and fluids from leaking onto the ground or streets.
  • Use a Household Hazardous Waste Disposal Facility to discard unused household chemicals, such as leftover oil based paint or solvents, instead of dumping them on the ground or down drains. Recycle used motor oil (car parts stores will accept the oil at no cost).
  • Businesses in the CARA must follow certain rules if they use or handle hazardous materials. 
  • Report spills: Call 425-837-3470.